Re: Round 6 results are posted

To: "bay_area_autocross_list" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Round 6 results are posted
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:10:34 -0500
The 1974 SCCA Solo II rulebook shows 14 classes.
The 1976 SCCA Solo II rulebook shows 16 classes.

Today we have 62 classes, of which 61 were contested at the 2002 Nationals.
        (Actually 31 with parallel women's classes.)

With all of the classes many people have several options on which way to
go. Some move to avoid competition; some move to find it and beat it.
That's a part of the game. Every new class is somebody's "I" class. It was
designed to fit the person who championed the cause.
That was true with the creation of F Modified for Formula Vees (but with a
Solo twist that assured a Solo Vee is faster than a road racing FV).
        It was true when Dennis Grant championed the cause of Street
Modified. He didn't do it for you; he did it for himself and won the Pro
Solo SM class this year.

Last year I wrote a facetious column in Pylon pointing out it was possible
for a single car to to be driven in as many as four classes with four sets
of drivers and WIN in each! A fifth class is available, too, but a stocker
won't take A Mod. It can do well, though.

        Just some facts along the way. <G>

--John Kelly