Re: Color choices for LBC's

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Color choices for LBC's
From: Garry Archer <archer@hsi.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 10:21:23 -0500
Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu> writes:
> mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick) wrote:
> >
> > In Participant's Choice type shows, it seems that a red car will invariably
> > win over a non-red car of equal or slightly better quality.  Red certainly
> > attracts attention!
>
> When the Jag is put together to the point of being paintable, I plan
> to use either "Speeding-ticket Red" or the other variant known as
> "Cop-attracting Red" :-) :-)
>
> There's just something about a red E-type ...

I was at me Dentist's yesterday, if you may remember, the one who's
restoring an E-Type (I wished he'd stop calling it an XKE!)

He was ___very___ excited.  He has his car down at a professional restorers
to do some bodywork (he tries to do as much of the mechanical stuff himself)
and he couldn't wait to tell me that he showed up last Saturday and there
was this beautiful red E-Type in the shop.  He looked around, couldn't see
his car... then realised they'd painted it!  He was in absolute awe.  His
car has been in a drab state for a couple of years at least.  Now he can
finally see what his car will really look like!

Now he's wishing he'd fixed up the dash first.  He has new parts and he admits
to being warned that he should have done that before painting (by the restorers
I suppose).  I reckon this is the problem when you want to do some work
yourself and can only farm out some work you aren't able or qualified to do.

He has promised me a drive when it is finished ("years, yet", he sez).  I
wonder how many more painful trips to the dentist this drive is going to
cost me!

        Cheers!
        - Garry Archer