Color choices for lbc's

To: Scions of Lucas <British-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Color choices for lbc's
From: <RGS03%ALBNYDH2.bitnet@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 94 10:52:01 EST
Ray Gibbons wrote about the color of his Bugeye and the reaction to
it at Stowe. I was there as well and remember his car. Sorry I didn't
get to visit with you, Ray. I'll be honest. It's not my favorite color,
but to paraphrase; I may disagree with your color choice, but I will
defend to the death your right to make it. Andy Mace and I have had this
discussion many times and it all comes down to the conflict between
philosophies. Hundred point show restoration vs. It's my car, my money, I'll
do as I please with it. I go with the latter, for a couple of reasons.
1) The people who built these cars intended for them to be driven and
enjoyed. They also changed, modified and customized the cars as a matter
of routine. So what's the problem?
2) The original color of your car may be one that turns your stomach.
If you don't like looking at the car, you won't want to drive it. Case in
point; my first lbc was a Sunbeam Alpine, painted about the same shade of
green that most people turned upon seeing it. I liked the car, but I liked
it a lot more when it was BRG.

The Brits have a long and honored history of choosing colors that are...
well, unusual. How's that for tactful? And American dealers were quick
to repaint them *before* putting them out on the lots. They knew
American tastes and knew what would and wouldn't sell. So more than a
few leaf green or geranium cars became BRG or red before the buyers first
saw them.
There's a fellow in VTR with a geranium TR2 that is absolutely perfect.
I'm glad he restored it that way. I'm also glad it's his car and not
mine.I think it's a hideous color.

Ray's also right about other people's opinions. The more erroneous the
information, it seems, the more adamant the purveyor of that information.
It's as though volume and forcefulness will make it true.

Related, but non lbc story. I was getting gas for my 71 Datsun 240Z
when a guy came up to the car, got down on one knee and looked under the
rear of the car. *Great shape* he said. *No rust on the frame or anything.*
I agreed and smiled. A rusty frame on a unibody car is an interesting
concept. He went on at great length about what an expert he was on 240Zs.
How did that old saying go? It's better to remain silent and be thought a
fool than to speak and prove it.

For my own TR3A, (returning to color) it was black from the factory
but it will never be straight enough for that again. When I bought it
it was red, but I'm tired of red TRs, so it's going to be primrose
yellow with black (period style) racing stripes. Not concours, but then
it's my car and it's a driver, not a show car. In short, unless you're
restoring it for show, paint your car whatever color you like and don't
pay any attention to what anyone else says. Including me.

Rik, I can't wait for +80 degrees, Schlierer