Re: Jaremko at the vintage races

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jaremko at the vintage races
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:51:57 -0700
Well I don't know the specifics of this situation, and I will admit there is a
fair amount of anti Japanese bias in most vintage/historic racing. But, it is
*vintage* racing folks. You are supposed to prepare a car to its original
as-raced specs (if it is a real vintage race car) or build one to the specs of
the period (if you are creating a purpose built vintage car). Either way you
must build it using parts and materials available at the time and legal at the
time. That means no modern billet aluminum, CNC machined calipers, or modern FI,
or modern DIS ignitions, etc. Remember, vintage racing is not real racing. If
someone wants that they should go SCCA or other club racing, where its all about
winning, and pushing the rules to win is part of the game. Vintage is about
enjoying older race cars at speed, with the emphasis on enjoying and not on
wining. This is being lost as more and more people discover vintage. The problem
is that many folks are leaving club racing for vintage because they don't like
certain aspects of club racing, but they are slowly turning vintage into club
racing and bringing all the same problems with them.

Who cares what class they put him in? Look at it as a compliment, instead of
taking offense. They think a 2000 is so good it has to run up a class. If he
really is 4 seconds faster than the rest of the class he "should" be in, then
perhaps they are right. Maybe he belongs in a faster class. I know I wouldn't
want to run in a class where I had no competition. I'd rather race my ass off
and come in second than cruise through a season because I am so much faster than
the rest of the class. In that sense vintage racing often does capture the
essence of racing better. Here is an example. John Morton in *any* car belongs
in a faster class than I do. Doesn't matter what car I have, he is always going
to be *much* faster than me. Many vintage groups would bump him up, out of his
car's class, because of his lap times. The same thing happened to a friend of
mine who raced a Big Healey. His car was just another 6 cylinder Healey, nothing
all that special. Certainly legal for his Vintage class. But he was bumped up to
a much faster class because he consistently turned much faster lap times than
the rest of the cars in car's class.

OTOH some times vintage racing gets very petty. Right now there is a debate
going on about brakes in the Vintage 2.5 Trans Am series. Although the Nissan
FIA calipers (4-piston iron) were available at the time, were legal under the
rules at the time, could have been adapted to the 510 (maybe even were though at
this point we can't prove it), and there is documentation they were sold and
used on 510s a year or so later, the Vintage 2.5 group wants to limit 510s to
either a 2-piston caliper, or even worse the specific caliper that BRE used on
their 510s (a Porsche 908 caliper BTW). While the claim of period correctness is
the supposed basis for the claim, the reality seems to be simply an attempt to
make the 510 less competitive. But you know what, who cares? This isn't real
racing, its vintage racing. The win is not the point (not saying it isn't nice,
just that it isn't the point of vintage).

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZXT