RE: Rallye prices

Subject: RE: Rallye prices
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:17:21 -0400
I think that it's fair to say that no one in their right mind is trying to
'make money' selling Datsun Roadster parts (I hope our vendors are selling
other things too).  Let's face it, there isn't much of a market for these
things and Roadster owners as a group are pretty cheap - myself included.
Miata parts, MG parts, maybe you can make some money there.  It boggles my
mind that we have as many vendor choices as we do.  I for one am damn glad
that I have 5 phone numbers in front of me that I can call if I need
something.  Try finding the bushings/bearings for the late steering box!
CDM had them!  Dann has done a whole lot of good for the Roadster community
in the past 20 or 30 years and I'm sure will continue to do such.  If he has
one of only 3 new solex air cleaners in existence (I made the 3 part up)
then he can get what he wants for it.  No to overly criticize the original
thought in this thread. The whole Solex thing is outrageous.  $2500 for a
new set, if you can find them.  I paid $1400 for mine 2 years ago just when
Nissan bumped the list price to $2500.  I have an old Rallye sales flyer
that lists the whole kit (carbs, manifold, linkage, air cleaner, and cam)
for $1345.  If I'd only bought that 11 years ago - but it was too expensive
then.
Due to the high cost of the solex air cleaner I am going to use an ITG
filter.  This is what Dean sells at Fairlady.  I don't know what he's
charging for it but I found the parts to make my own at TWM induction.  $128
for the filter assy. and $41.47 for the backing plate.  They also sell the
airhorns but they're pricey ($46.55 ea.)
Sorry for the excessive rambling
Brian