Re: Water tower removal soak option

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water tower removal soak option
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:40:55 -0700
> When trying to get the water tower loose, and failing, I'd try making
> some sort of seal that you dropped in over the thermostat and filing the
> area with a water/vinegar mix.

Typically the R16 tower becomes 'one with the head' because of
corrosion between the long studs and the tower. The coolant isn't
(supposed to be) in this area - just steel bolts, aluminum surround,
lots of heat, time, pressure, and probably a little moisture seepage.
After a few years the dissimilar metals pretty much fuse together.

Lots of penetrating oil, hammering, cursing, and what-all will often
result in bruised knuckles, bruised tower, and bruised ego.

Many years ago, a master machinist I knew used a ball-peen
hammer to seriously dent the living daylights out of the areas
surrounding the studs. I thought he was nuts (and the tower ended
up with one heck of a 'shot-peened' look), but the hammering caused
the metal to expand and release the studs. HOWEVER, I would be
very, very hesitant to try this myself (as in: I'm not going to do it!).

If you do manage to pry it loose, it's been suggested that, after
cleaning things up, to slather the studs with grease to prevent a
repeat performance in a few years.

Good luck. I've been unsuccessful at getting the tower on my
R16 off, and have decided that "if it ain't broken..."

-- John