Re: Water tower removal soak option

To: sandhoff@csus.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water tower removal soak option
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:57:31 EDT
Try this. Take a 1/16 " drill and carefully drill between the stud and the
housing. After drilling out all the rust you can, fill the space with
penetrating oil. Heat with a propane torch till the penetrating oil just starts
bubble then add more penetrating oil. Then tap the sides of the tower with a
plastic hammer. A couple of rounds of this and it should start to come loose.
Once I get these apart I make new studs from stainless steel rod. That way the
first time is the last time. The other option is to clean the studs, paint
them  and then use a syringe to fill the space between the stud and housing
with
 grease. There is simply no way to keep the water out of there. All you can
do is  slow it down.

keith

When  trying to get the water tower loose, and failing, I'd try making