fot

Re: [Fot] The garage mahal

To: "Ken Gano palm top" <triumphs@consolidated.net>, "Friends of
Subject: Re: [Fot] The garage mahal
From: "Scott Janzen" <S.Janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 18:36:27 -0400
Couple of thoughts from my own garage -
you can never have too much light.   Mine is well lit by 2'x4' flourescent
lights salvaged from an office space that was getting demolished
Paint the floor - after ten years, I cleared out the garage one weekend and
used the Griot's Garage two part epoxy paint.  The place is unbelievably
cleaner and brighter.  The paint has held up well four years out - a few
chips where I have dropped steel (driveshafts, springs, etc), but overall
great
Heat - I just have a natural gas fired unit heater.  In Philadelphia that's
enough  Underfloor heat would be great but much more expensive.   Depends on
the climate, and if I lived in Maine or mid west, I would go for underfloor
Ventilation - wish I had put an BF exhaust fan in the roof.  Operable
skylight is pretty good though.
Insulate the roof and walls if possible, buy an insulated garage door.  Put
in windows for natural light - nice to have a view over your work bench!
My garage has a pitched roof, so there is a loft space framed out with a
plywood floor.  It makes great storage space.  Right now it's accessed only
by a ladder but someday will have a drop down stair
Best thing I did is have an I-beam put in that runs in line with one of the
"car spots" over to the workbench.  It has an I-beam trolley on it - with a
chain hoist I can pull an engine and transmission and drop them right on my
workbench.  As the garage is not huge this takes up less room than the
typical roll around engine hoists when you are not using them
compressed air - yes, buy a two stage compressor - nothing else is adequate