Re: Sobering

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sobering
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 12:42:39 -0500
Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

> Listers,

<SNIP>
> I felt extremely bad when I saw this car, not because it was once a beautiful
> TR250 but more so because I felt bad for the person that was in it when it
> got trashed.  We're all used to seeing the fun side of these cars at the
> shows and rallys, but we don't always think about safety.  Seeing this car
>  definately woke me up and will have a lasting effect on me.  But probably a
> good effect because I'll be more carefull on the road.

<SNIP>

Scott & Fellow Fiends:

I've more or less harped quietly on this sort of thing since I've joined
this list; it's a good point and I'm glad you made it.

I've seen some crash test data on MGB's; they hold up surprisingly well,
considering their age.  Nothing, however, is going to save your life if
you're run over by an SUV or if you dance head-on with a Caddy.  Good
stuff to keep in mind.  I use Rags as a daily driver, with a couple of
exceptions, and although I don't give a fig about emissions laws or, for
that matter, safety *laws*, I do take my vehicle's safety very, very
seriously. Were it a race or rally car, I'd handle it a bit differently;
being a daily (street) driver, I do the following:

* Wear your seatbelt. Even in a low-speed crash, being thrown from the
vehicle is a sure way to have your ticket punched.

* Don't fiddle with the ride height of late model B's, no matter how
you feel it improves the handling. While playing dodgeball with a Buick
may sound reasonable, NOT running your car 6" below its bumper is a lot
safer.

* Stay off of interstates. Not only are the speeds there deadly, but
quite often you simply aren't noticed.  I saw a Midget literally run
over by a tractor-trailer rig once. Very unpretty. If you do drive on
the interstate, be a weenie and consider putting one of those flexible
whip-antennas with a flag on it (like dunebuggies use) on your bumper.
Yeah, it looks stupid. I can put up with a whole lot of stupid if it
keeps me from being run over.

* Update your headlamps. Make sure they're on par, at least, with the
cars on the road today. See and be seen.

* Make your safety checks like a pilot would. Before you leave the
hangar, make certain your lights, signal marker lamps, turn signals,
horn, and brake lights work. Repeat after me: Lucas is our friend. ;)

* Do not ever skimp on brake components. Do not ever take brake
problems lightly.

* Drive defensively. Pretend every other driver on the road is actively
attempting to kill you. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that
everyone isn't out to get you.

* Don't do any crazy driving seannachnaighans in an MG that you wouldn't
try in a modern sedan. Don't assume your nimble sports car gives you
special driving abilities, or enhances your skills.

This may all seem quite obvious, but I'd rather not see your names in
the
obits. I'm certain your family wouldn't, either. Luck and safe driving,
friends.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'