Re: Sobering - Reply

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>,
Subject: Re: Sobering - Reply
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 13:49:46 -0500

>I'm at about 37 years and roughly a half-million miles (including
>about 100K on the Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago, then reputed to
>be the most dangerous highway in the US) without a scratch,
>which I attribute to defensive driving, tempered by a fair share of
>luck.  On those occasions when I have pulled a really bone-headed move, I
>have been lucky enough that the other guy was alert.
>
>When I wonder if I am a good driver, I'm not sure of the answer.  I drive
>safely, I drive smoothly, and I sure don't hold up much traffic, but I
>would probably be bog slow on a race track.  All those years of being safe
>make me instinctively want to avoid the ragged edge.  At 6/10ths I ease
>off.
>
>So I guess my motto is, "safety briskly."
>
>   Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Ray, interesting statistic in this months "Sacred Octagon", the New England
MGT Register has run 8 trips in 10 years, all with pre 56 MGs. The total
mileage times the number of cars exceeds 2,000,000. miles. While there have
been very minor mishaps, this is truly an amazing display of careful
attentive , and defensive driving in cars some have said should not be on
the road. Well, we prove the opposite.

Mike