Re: Sobering

To: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>, Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sobering
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 12:45:55 -0600 (CST)
At 12:42 PM 2/5/97 -0500, ckr wrote:

Corey wrote:

>being a daily (street) driver, I do the following:
>
>* Wear your seatbelt. Even in a low-speed crash, being thrown from the
>vehicle is a sure way to have your ticket punched.
>
>* Don't fiddle with the ride height of late model B's, no matter how
>you feel it improves the handling. While playing dodgeball with a Buick
>may sound reasonable, NOT running your car 6" below its bumper is a lot
>safer.
>
>* Stay off of interstates. Not only are the speeds there deadly, but
>quite often you simply aren't noticed.  I saw a Midget literally run
>over by a tractor-trailer rig once. Very unpretty. If you do drive on
>the interstate, be a weenie and consider putting one of those flexible
>whip-antennas with a flag on it (like dunebuggies use) on your bumper.
>Yeah, it looks stupid. I can put up with a whole lot of stupid if it
>keeps me from being run over.
>
>* Update your headlamps. Make sure they're on par, at least, with the
>cars on the road today. See and be seen.
>
>* Make your safety checks like a pilot would. Before you leave the
>hangar, make certain your lights, signal marker lamps, turn signals,
>horn, and brake lights work. Repeat after me: Lucas is our friend. ;)
>
>* Do not ever skimp on brake components. Do not ever take brake
>problems lightly.
>
>* Drive defensively. Pretend every other driver on the road is actively
>attempting to kill you. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that
>everyone isn't out to get you.
>
>* Don't do any crazy driving seannachnaighans in an MG that you wouldn't
>try in a modern sedan. Don't assume your nimble sports car gives you
>special driving abilities, or enhances your skills.
>
>This may all seem quite obvious, but I'd rather not see your names in
>the
>obits. I'm certain your family wouldn't, either. Luck and safe driving,
>friends.

This is great, Corey.  I know I feel almost like a 'marked target'  in the
MGA and drive as if everyone is out to get me. I know the car is lower than
most drivers can see out of their mirrors. My worst fears until the other
day were a drive-by shot, or a deliberately hurled object of some sort.
(Strange people here in SA!)

I would like to add one other safety tip. Carry a can of pepper spray.

Last Saturday we were driving in an old settlement just outside of town that
has streets narrower than most one-car driveways, lots of bad pavement, and
wonderful curves. It was a lovely afternoon, and we were enjoying ourselves
immensely until....

...we came upon two giant German Shepherds. I immediately recalled a post
seen on this list some months ago where someone had a similar experience
with a dog, and I went into "fight or flee" mode. I prayed aloud: "Please
don't let them bark, and please don't let them try to get to the car!" My
prayers weren't answered quickly enough and the pair bared their fangs,
growled/barked that horrible sound that says "we want a piece of you," and
bolted straight for the rear of the car. They were only about 10 feet away.

The road was pretty awful, and it was difficult to build enough speed to
keep the critters WAY behind us. One finally gave up, but the other kept on
coming. We finally made a turn onto a better street and left him in our dust.

My passenger and I were both a bit shaken and realized how very vulnerable
we were when we encountered those dogs. I said a quick "thank you, Lord"
prayer, and put pepper spray at the top of the list of things left to do on
the Lil' Darlin'.

I considered mace but have had experience with it having some residual
effect, and possibly blowing back. If a spray is going to affect me, too,
I'd rather deal with pepper!

Just a thought....

Carol