Re: Sobering

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sobering
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@west.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 21:19:42 -0800
I am in agreement with Mike regarding the strength of the MGB.  In
August I was commuting to work in my 65 B on the 101 freeway in Santa
Barbara CA.  There was an accident ahead and the pickup in front of me
slowed to a stop.  I stopped about ten feet behind him.  Then I heard
the scream of tires.  A speeding car in the next lane swerved into the
back of a VW camper drawing up behind me.  The VW hit my left rear wing.
I was pushed into the back of the pickup, hard.  The front and rear of
the car crumpled and absorbed the impact.  The seat back was actually
bent by the force.  The hit on the left rear was enough to actually
buckle the right rear fender just behind the top.  Although the car was
six inches shorter on one side.  The buckled hood and trunk still
latched and the doors still stayed shut (which on a 65 is hard at the
best of times)  I was amazed that the car was still drivable after I
pried the rear fender from the tire.
       These cars are built well.  After working for many years at a
British scrap yard I can attest that if you keep your seat belts on, you
can survive major impacts in these cars.

                                                        The frame of the B is
twisted beyond repair.  But I have another
body shell and it will be on the road again.

Kelvin.
     with bent MGs