Re: True or False

To: Nory@webtv.net (Nory), gkirk@empirenet.com (Gregory Kirk)
Subject: Re: True or False
From: ninab@scoresheet.com (Nina Barton)
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 13:12:45 -0700
At 12:05 PM 9/20/97 -0400, Nory wrote:
>Debbie, don't listen to this guy.  Start working on your own car - I'm
>not suggestion you rebuild engines, but there's no reason why you can't
>do your own brakes, carbs, tune-ups, etc.
>
>-NORY
I have to add my own $.02 worth here.  While it is valid and important to
be able to work on and repair our own cars, the fear associated with
working in a vacuum (i.e. nobody to call if you're unsure of something) is
much greater than the fear of working with someone else on a project.  I'm
a novice mechanic, can't even describe things right much of the time, but
I'm learning a lot due to these two guys I met through my local MG club.
They're willing to clean up (if necessary) my bodged repairs.  It's a great
relief have someone to answer your questions, and not have to try and
figure everything out through a manual.  I'd suggest that you try and join
a local MG club Debbie, go to technical sessions, and make some connections
with more experienced mechanics.  Some people will give advice for free, I
pay my friends to clean up my messes, as that makes me feel better.  Last
Sunday, one of my buddies towed me home, as my car was having ignition
problems, and somehow the timing was thrown off.  It was really nice to
have someone to call, as it wasn't something I could figure out by myself.
Maybe some can learn enough through a manual, but I'm not that kind of
learner.  It sounds like your car is generally running pretty well, start
with the simple stuff.  Good luck, and keep us posted!           Nina