Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?

To: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:38:09 -0500
Der schwarze Buccaneer wrote:
> >   The B engine is pretty reliable really.
>
> I've never been in a new MGB (or one with a 'new' engine), so I'm
> basically unfamiliar with this firsthand.  Frankly, you're the first
> person has ever told me MGB's are reliable.

  Ah! But I am not saying the cars are reliable, just the engines.

  One thing you learn when owning a british car is just how
many parts the car has that can leave you stranded.

  Frankly, if you charted 1000 MGB breakdowns, you'll find
half electrical problems, scores of hydraulic problems, and so
on and so on.

  As with most cars, the engine seldom breaks or really needs
anything. It's remarkable really, since the engine does so
much and usually gives tens of thousands of miles of service
with only oil changes.

> never seeing it again, so I'm trying to find a fix that will give me
> dependability and a certain amount of economy.  I truly thought that's
> what I'd get with a rebuilt American motor

  Having an American motor won't replace your LUCAS electronics,
your Girling brake parts, or any number of parts that say MOWOG
on them and will still leave you stranded.

  Sounds like you really want one of those Austin Healey 3000
kit cars that are mostly mustangs underneath. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada