Re: Flat towing MGB

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: Re: Flat towing MGB
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:41:32 -0500
Bud Krueger wrote:

>      Is there anyone out there with experience at flat towing an MGB?  The
> process would be to remove the front RB and bolt the brackets of the hitch to
> the plates that the RB normally mounts to.  Towing distance would be about 200
> miles.  I've yet to see a convincing argument against flat towing with the
> driveshaft connected. <Whoa! snip>

Ever been inside a transmission, Bud? How does the oil get circulated? There is
no
pump. So you have to rely on the laygear laying in the bottom of the sump to
whirl
the oil around. Now think about it. Normally the laygear must always turn
because
it is geared directly to the input shaft. But, when towing, the input shaft is
stationary as is the laygear. Thus the oil is just lounging around in the sump.

When towing, the output shaft is spinning. Nothing else. The intermediate gears
are
engaged by the stationary laygear. Thus they are also stationary. Thus the
output
shaft is spinning inside the intermediate gears which have merely plain
bearings.

Get the picture? Heat. A lot of it.

I don't know anything about hooking up the tow bar but, if I were you, I'd put
an
extra quart of oil in the tranny with plans to dump it out when I got home.

Bob Allen, Kansas City
Famous Punch Lines: "After the first couple of inches it's just like back in
high
school!"