Re: MGB spinon filter adapters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB spinon filter adapters
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:12:04 -0700 (PDT)
Elliott and Martha DeGraff SEZ -
> You can reduce (not eliminate) the mess with the "on top" adapter if you use a
> filter such as the 3517857-3 filter available from all Volvo dealers to fit
> Volvos from 1962 and later.  This filter has an internal check valve which
> minimizes the run back.  Besides making less of a mess when you change it, the
> filtered out crud doesn't run back into the crankcase when you shut off the
> engine.  If I wrap a bunch of rags around the base and then sop up the oil
>that's
> left in the adapter, I make very little mess.  Besides, MGs and clean garage
> floors don't go together.

OK, I have a philosophical question about all this.  :-)
It seems from this thread that the spin-on filters offer
no real advantage over the element filters in the prime
area of benefit: less spillage when changing oil.  So why put
on a spin-on filter adapter?  I've never owned an MG
with a spin-on filter, so I have no experience with them.
What are the real benefits?

--
David Breneman                   |  "Advice is somethin' the
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |   other feller can't use,