Re: MGB spinon filter adapters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB spinon filter adapters
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:10:44 -0700 (PDT)
Larry Hoy SEZ -
> The element filters have no check valve in them.  Everytime the engine
> shuts down the oil drains back to the oil pan.  The good spin on filters
> have a check valve and the oil stays in the filter.  When starting the
> car you want oil in the filter so the bearings get lubed sooner.

OK, there's a good point.  But not all element filters go up,
some go down.  My MGA has an MGB 5-main engine in it (well,
at the moment it's not in it as the car is undergoing
restoration), and the filter goes down, so the oil stays in
even when you're changing it.

I've got the impression that not very many people take
advantage of the check valve style spin-on filters, however.

--
David Breneman                   |  "Advice is somethin' the
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |   other feller can't use,