Re: MGB spinon filter adapters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB spinon filter adapters
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:58:49 -0700 (PDT)
> Rick Lindsay wrote:
> >
> > David, I can only imagine that there is an implied simplicity
> > but I never found the cartridge filters in my e-type to be
> > any more hassle than the screw-on cans.  My BMW M3
> > uses a cartridge and it is no hassle either.

Yes, I also had a BMW with a cartridge filter, except in my
case it was a 1967 1800/02-ti.  Had no problem with that,
either.

> >                                               I really think
> > that the American buying public thinks they know what
> > an oil filter looks like: an orange, screw-on can.  Anything
> > else looks too hard.  Then again, I don't place too much
> > faith in humanity. :-P

Hey, us 'Murcans are totally open-minded, and I'll shoot any
damn foreigner that says different!  :-)

Paul Root SEZ -
> I had the cartidge on my TR7. Once when I changed the oil, I
> got the canister on a bit sideways and pumped 3-4 quarts of oil
> out on the paddock of my apartment complex.

I got into the habit of starting the engine and running
around to the engine compartment to check for that.  I could
get there before the rockers stopped clattering.  When I
bought my MGA, I discovered that the PO had removed the
pressure disk from the filter cannister.  Gawdknows how long
he drove it with the oil going *around* the filter!  Oh well,
the engine needed a rebuild anyway.

> On the other hand, I shreded a oil filter can on my old Mazda Navajo
> and had to turn it's base 1/16 in at a time. Talk about your 3 hour
> oil changes.

Been there!  In fact, several times.  Once had to pound a
screwdriver through the side of a spin-on filter and use that
to remove it when the friend I was helping change his oil didn't
have an oil filter wrench of the right type.

  :-)

--
David Breneman                   |  "Advice is somethin' the
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |   other feller can't use,