Re: MGB spinon filter adapters

To: Rick Lindsay <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Subject: Re: MGB spinon filter adapters
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:37:06 -0500
Rick Lindsay wrote:

>>I've never owned an MG with a spin-on filter, so I have no
>>experience with them. What are the real benefits?
>>

> David, I can only imagine that there is an implied simplicity
> but I never found the cartridge filters in my e-type to be
> any more hassle than the screw-on cans.  My BMW M3
> uses a cartridge and it is no hassle either.  I really think
> that the American buying public thinks they know what
> an oil filter looks like: an orange, screw-on can.  Anything
> else looks too hard.  Then again, I don't place too much
> faith in humanity. :-P

I had the cartidge on my TR7. Once when I changed the oil, I
got the canister on a bit sideways and pumped 3-4 quarts of oil
out on the paddock of my apartment complex.

On the other hand, I shreded a oil filter can on my old Mazda Navajo
and had to turn it's base 1/16 in at a time. Talk about your 3 hour
oil changes.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155