Re: MGB spinon filter adapters

To: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB spinon filter adapters
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:21:13 -0500
> I've never owned an MG with a spin-on filter, so I have no
> experience with them. What are the real benefits?

David, I can only imagine that there is an implied simplicity
but I never found the cartridge filters in my e-type to be
any more hassle than the screw-on cans.  My BMW M3
uses a cartridge and it is no hassle either.  I really think
that the American buying public thinks they know what
an oil filter looks like: an orange, screw-on can.  Anything
else looks too hard.  Then again, I don't place too much
faith in humanity. :-P

FWIW, my 1930 Chevy doesn't have an oil filter.  It has
instructions to change the oil frequently with the best quality
oil one can find!  I think this car is a perfect candidate for
an upgrade to a magnetic drain plug!  It also doesn't have
pressure fed bearings.  The oil is just pumped up high in the
engine and it rains down into troughs below the rod big
ends -- where there are splash dippers!  An external
copper line delivers oil to the rockers.

best,

rick / tulsa