Re: MGB spinon filter adapters

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB spinon filter adapters
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:10:51 -0700
on 8/6/02 1:12 PM, David Breneman at idcb@airborne.com wrote:

> Elliott and Martha DeGraff SEZ -
>> You can reduce (not eliminate) the mess with the "on top" adapter if you use
>> filter such as the 3517857-3 filter available from all Volvo dealers to fit
>> Volvos from 1962 and later.  This filter has an internal check valve which
>> minimizes the run back.  Besides making less of a mess when you change it,
>> the
>> filtered out crud doesn't run back into the crankcase when you shut off the
>> engine.  If I wrap a bunch of rags around the base and then sop up the oil
>> that's
>> left in the adapter, I make very little mess.  Besides, MGs and clean garage
>> floors don't go together.
>
> OK, I have a philosophical question about all this.  :-)
> It seems from this thread that the spin-on filters offer
> no real advantage over the element filters in the prime
> area of benefit: less spillage when changing oil.  So why put
> on a spin-on filter adapter?  I've never owned an MG
> with a spin-on filter, so I have no experience with them.
> What are the real benefits?

Um, so you don't have to muck around with a bunch of oily washers and
springs?

I consider that a benefit.. then, of course, my DPO had simply skipped all
the hassle and just thrown the element inside the canister, losing the odd
bits. This is what prompted me to scrounge the adapter from a wrecking yard.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149