RE: Transmission

To: "'Spit List'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission
From: Peter Cebalo <cebalo@NthShore.govt.nz>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 09:26:50 +1200
Hi Ryan, Mike,

The reverse problem sounds like a clutch adjustment. When you push the
clutch pedal while stationary , the transmission should stop spinning
allowing the selection of reverse without gear grinding ( since there's
no syncro on reverse ). If the travel on the clutch slave cylinder
pushrod is not long enough, the clutch will not release completely
allowing the transmission to rotate causing the grinding. The travel on
the slave can be adjusted by removing the trans cover inside the car and
releasing the pinch bolt on the slave cylinder and moving the position
of the slave. There is about 1/2" of play from memory. This could also
be contributing to the 3rd to 2nd problem.  If the grinding from 3rd to
2nd is still there, then it's worn sycro rings.

Hope this helps.

Peter Cebalo

73 Spitfire

Auckland, New Zealand