Re: Transmission

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transmission
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 23:01:52 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/99 4:28:30 PM EST, cebalo@NthShore.govt.nz writes:

> Hi Ryan, Mike,
>
>  The reverse problem sounds like a clutch adjustment. When you push the
>  clutch pedal while stationary , the transmission should stop spinning
>  allowing the selection of reverse without gear grinding ( since there's
>  no syncro on reverse ). If the travel on the clutch slave cylinder
>  pushrod is not long enough, the clutch will not release completely
>  allowing the transmission to rotate causing the grinding. The travel on
>  the slave can be adjusted by removing the trans cover inside the car and
>  releasing the pinch bolt on the slave cylinder and moving the position
>  of the slave. There is about 1/2" of play from memory. This could also
>  be contributing to the 3rd to 2nd problem.  If the grinding from 3rd to
>  2nd is still there, then it's worn sycro rings.

I've heard of this solution before, but wondered if it would actually work.
Since the clutch release is hydraulic, wouldn't the slave cylinder piston
just be pushed further back the first time that you stepped on the pedal and
you would be right back to square one?  Your fluid level would be higher, but
that's
about it.  Unless of course the slave cylinder piston had reached the end of
its
travel...