RE: Transmission

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Transmission
From: David Gates <dgates@lava.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 12:59:50 -1000
Mike,

I think I'm with Peter on this one.  It sounds like a clutch problem to me.
 Lord knows I have had my fair share of them.  Just about every component
on my clutch system has failed at one point or another.  For me each
component caused the same symptom, grinding gears especially in reverse,
first, and second when downshifting.  I had three different items that
failed within a year of each other.

Master cylinder - rebuilt.  Slight improvement.  Replaced with new.
Problem fixed.

6 months later:
Slave cylinder - rebuilt.  No help.  Replaced with used cylinder and
rebuild kit.  Problem fixed.

4 months later:
Clutch itself - replaced with 3 piece kit.  Problem Fixed.

Unfortunately all these created pretty much the same symptom as you
describe.  I would start with the master cylinder first because it is
easiest to get to.  The rebuild kit is only about $12.  When its apart
check for any rough spots in the cylinder.  It should be very smooth.  If
its not smooth and scrach free inside, then you may be looking at a new
cylinder.  BPNW has the best prices I have found.  I personally had no luck
honning it out, but it may be worth a try.

Next I would try the slave cylinder.  Same basic procedure.

Last I would try the clutch itself.  Some would say this is a longshot, but
I had two different clutches cause this problem.  I had an engine and
tranny in the car with the grinding problem.  When the engine blew I pulled
both out and installed a totally different engine and tranny from my parts
car into the car and the grinding was still there.  Naturally I did not
suspect the clutch because it was totally different drive train.  I
suspected the hydrolics.  But after much frustration it turned out to be
the clutch after all.

Sorry for the long story.

David Gates