Re: Transmission

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission
From: "Michael Thomas" <mathomas@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 09:53:45 -0400
When I took my transmission apart last year I looked at the shift forks.  On
my single rail transmission, it looked like the contact between the pin (on
the rail) and the brass fork was worn.  When I put it back together, I
noticed grinding when downshifting to second -- I believe it is caused when
the single rail changes from the 3-4 selector to the 1-2 selector: a little
bit of play on the selectors causing it to grind.  It doesn't do it when I
pause for a second on downshifting, so I wasn't prepared to spend a few
hundred bucks on the shift fork (I am a poor student, after all).

Mike.