RE: Spit Longevity

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Spit Longevity
From: Ian.Wiik@hydro.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:21:20 +0100

I own a 1965 Spitfire, and the first year after I got it I had all sorts of
problems, most of them because of the previous owner's rather lousy
repairs. After some time, I have come to the point where the Spit start and
runs whenever needed. (Well... at least most of the time!) I also own a
1980 Porsche 928S that I use for a daily driver and also during winter
season, and I can tell you that these cars also break! The difference is
that when my Spitfire stops, the proble, is usually easy to locate and easy
to fix. And most of all, Spitfire parts are rather chaep! Recently I've had
to buy new distributor caps for both the Spitfire and the Porsche, and I
paid ten times as much for the cap for the porsche (about $100) than for
the spit (about $10)! Also, tracing down the porblem in the advanced
Porsche took about ten times longer...

I think the Spitfire is an excellent car! It is true that the factory has
been saving money by choosing cheap materials and components, but the
simplicity of the car is so good I can live with it! I agree though, that
if you can or will not do your own reparations, then you probably should
look for another car. (And I promise you, that car should NOT be an old
Porsche!)

Just for information: I checked the price for a new rear muffler for my
Porsche:  $1250!!!!!!!!! They MUST be kidding...

Ian
1965 Triumph Spitfire Mk2
1980 Porsche 928S