Re: Spit Longevity

To: "'wizardz'" <wizardz@maxinter.net>, MishimaSky@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spit Longevity
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:43:56 -0700
Ok, Fellow Pilots, I have read all the previous posts with great
interest.  Now I have decided to throw in my two pence worth.

My theory is that when you buy a used car (no matter what the brand) you
can expect the worst.  I buy Spitfires with that in mind.

Therefore, I buy cars that I consider sound body wise and as complete as
possible (considering what I plan to do with it).  After that, I plan on
going through everything in order to ensure that it is brought up to a
condition that will enable it to provide reasonably reliable service.

Doing this is not cheap, but once the obligatory "shake down" period is
over, it should provide reliable service (or at least as reliable as it
did when new).  Bearing in mind that the cars are of a completely
different period that did not have such advantages as Computers to
control the timing fuel mixture, etc. and the fact that they have to be
properly maintained, they can deliver trouble free and most importantly
"FUN" driving experiences for years.

And so what if occasionally you have a problem that leaves you stranded
on the road.  This happens to owners of new cars as well.  And unless
you have purchased one of those cars with a road service guarantee, you
will have to be living in a motel while the local dealership works it
into the backlog in order to have warranty service done on it.  At least
with Spitfires, they are simple enough that normally one can implement
repairs himself.

I hope nobody really buys a used Spitfire with the expectation that they
will be able to drive it away and never have a problem.  After all,
there had to be a reason the PO decided to sell it in the first place.

Regards,
Joe Curry

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer