Re: Electrical Faults - '77 Spitfire 1500

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical Faults - '77 Spitfire 1500
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:40:54 +0100
In article <3AD22693.800BF743@sympatico.ca>, Grant Buss
<buss3@sympatico.ca> writes
>Check the connections in the back of the fuse panel. I had a loose one and I
>lost all those things and signal lights.

I'm pleased to be able to report that I have just driven Carly for over
80 miles without a single failure of the tacho or wipers/washers.
Tightening the fuseholders seems to have done the trick!

Actually, I have had such a pleasant evening that I feel I ought to
share it with you all...

With the top down, and the radio tuned to Big George Webley's 6.00 p.m.
show on BBC Three Counties Radio (Chuck Berry today - wonderful open-top
driving music), I headed off to the TSSC meeting in Whitwell.   Big
George is an occasional friend of mine (he's friendly when we see each
other, but that is only once or twice a year), and a genuine weirdo
muso.   He's knocked around in the music business for years, and got
himself a slot on as a DJ on the BBC by jamming their signal and
broadcasting his own choice of music...   Nice to hear a familiar voice
on the radio, particularly when it is introducing some cracking records.

Driving down the A600, a nice-looking 1500 Spit went the other way, and
we drivers exchanged greetings, at a closing speed of about 160 mph.   I
think she had red hair, but this could just have been doppler shift.

An Austin-Healey Sprite driver raised a courteous hand as we passed each
other in Hitchin, which gesture I duplicated.   What is the etiquette?
Of course one greets someone driving the same model of old car, but is
it done to be nice to the drivers of Triumph's competitors? <g>

The meeting at the Bull in Whitwell was the usual mixture of good beer
and good conversation, with the added thrill of my having set this
month's quiz.   Luckily, some people knew some of the answers, so I was
able to award the prizes (1960s and 1970s car mags, all covering various
Triumphs in depth), which saved considerable embarrassment.

Left the pub tired and happy at about twenty past ten, and had an
uneventful drive back in the dark to Bedford.   I have discovered the
secret of getting decent light out of Lucas headlamps - clean them.

And, in the immortal words of Samuel Pepys, so to bed.

Good night all.

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///