Re: Originality

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:54:29 +0100
In article <20010418175923777.AAA317@mail.141.com>, Laura Gharazeddine
<Laura.G@141.com> writes

>(Lagerfeld would be
>proud!)

I'm sure Nigel is too.

>Carly must love you! ;-)

I do hope so.   I once had a car that hated me - a '71 Sunbeam Stiletto
called Jingo - and she was no fun to drive any distance in.   As soon as
I was equidistant between home and destination, something major and not
easily repairable would fail: I lost three half-shafts, an exhaust, a
water pump, a fuel pump, an oil pump, a head gasket and even, on one
memorable occasion (1.00 a.m., driving rain, temperature hovering around
freezing), the crankcase.   She leaked like a sieve, and was impossible
to keep dry; the heater couldn't have volatilised dry ice, and she was
so light that whenever I passed or was passed by a lorry or a coach, she
went into a violent speed wobble.   She would overheat as soon as the
ambient temperature went above freezing point.   At one time she was
costing me more to run in oil than petrol.   I loved that car, and drove
her for a couple of years, only finally saying goodbye to her when I
couldn't raise the money for all the structural welding that was
required to get her through an MOT.

I hope that someone, somewhere, is currently driving JGO 212K, and being
treated better than I ever was by that ungrateful car!

>You must have an understanding family!

I do.

> My relatives gave up on me long, long
>time ago! But, that's ok-I love my grammie but don't understand her pack rat
>ways and she loves me-but can't quite understand how that sweet, feminine
>little
>girl in ruffled pinafores grew up to be such a gear head and swashbuckling
>eccentric! ;-)

<g>

>Books? You've written other books?

See http://www.hargreave-mawson.demon.co.uk/Books.html

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///