Re: Originality

To: OC <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 18 Apr 2001 07:46:31 -0500
Mike wrote:

According to the books, Daffy and Carly should be twins, with a few
minor exceptions:

I have the nice "TRIUMPH" number plate light housing, and you don't
(change at FH116000).

You should have the US-style bonnet bracing bar (changed Dec. '77)

I have the earlier SU carbs; you have the later (changed at FH118874).

You have a viscous fan coupling on your radiator fan, and I don't
(changed at FH105734).

You have fine grain vinyl; I have coarse grain (changed at FH113678).

You have loop pile carpets, I have tufted (changed at FH114523).

You have (I think) the Mota-Lita steering wheel with the real leather
rim and the Leyland Logo in the centre; I (should) have the three-spoke
(unslotted) wheel with the vinyl rim and Triumph name in the centre
(changed "mid-1978").

Mike,
I envy your number plate light - I think those are much nicer than the
 'frog-eyes' on the later cars.  What is the difference in the carbs - I
 thought all 1500s were 1.5" carbs - or are they both 1.5", but with detailed
 differences?

My car has the fixed fan, no doubt a PO modification when the viscous coupling
 failed, and he found out how much cheaper the fixed fans were!

As for the interior stuff - well, the vinyl is probably original (it certainly
 looks all of 22 years old), but as for the carpet - who knows?  When I got the
 car it had the Moto-Lita wheel, but the leather was very badly battered, it
 had worn completely away where it is held, so I got a Mountney after-market
 one - I have no idea how some after-market wheels can justify their prices
 (3-4 times Mountney) when the Mountney is so nice?  Conveniantly, it has an
 exactly the same size hole in the middle, so I can still use the original
 black plastic cap with the Leyland logo.

I am no stickler for originality.  My theory is that there are enough people
 around who are that Original Spits will never become an endangered species, so
 there is nothing wrong with modifying mine to my preference.  My primary
 concern is to keep my car running reliably - if I had the time and money to
 make it look a bit nicer that would be concern no. 2!

Enjoy your holiday!

Richard & Daffy

///