Re: Originality

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:01:59 +0100
In article <20010417225618286.AAA287@mail.141.com>, Laura Gharazeddine
<Laura.G@141.com> writes

>And now on to the dash/fascia trim...
>
>> >Oh-and the shiny spokes look great with the new chrome bezels on the
>gauges.
>And
>> >the 4 screws on the fascia? I found almost exact replacements for them at
>Pep
>> >Boys-and chromed-like to match the bezels and spokes!
>>
>> Interesting to note that the sales literature from December '78 shows
>> these screws as satin black.   Not a good move, in my opinion, but
>> consistent with changing the wipers, mirrors and door-handle escutcheons
>> to black.
>
>Yes, the screws in there (what was left of them-even though the wood is in
>quite
>good shape!) were black satin. But, because I stripped and cleaned the wood,
>changed the bezels to chrome, and polished the wheel spokes, I think that the
>'chrome' screws really go well with all that.

Carly's bezels (and the ones in the brochure) are black with a chrome
rim, which I think look rather tasteful.   They are set off nicely by
the chrome-plated dash screws, but goodness knows what is original to
the car.   The door handles (chrome levers, black background) and the
bezels suggest that the designer was looking for a balance between black
and silver.   The windscreen surround should have a silver-coloured
trim, but Carly doesn't, so in the spirit of the original (re-)design, I
reckon it is my bounden duty to fit silver-coloured wiper arms to
restore the balance!   (Actually, I wouldn't mind finding and fitting
the correct windscreen trim as well.)

> People had remarked to me, before
>I did all this, that the exterior of the car was soooo nice-but the interior,
>though quite good, wasn't up to the same level of flash. Now, when one looks
>at
>the interior, it all comes a bit more together. And Dave approves.

I found that my interior looks a whole lot better now I have screwed
down the tunnel cover where it belongs, and moved the Dash Support
Column forward to where it belongs.   The PO had deliberately set the
tunnel cover high and forward, and raked the dash support column back
towards the gear lever, which gave a much more cluttered look to the
cockpit.   I suspect he thought it looked more gutsy.

>> (You can tell I have spent far too much time poring over the various
>> photographs of '70s Spitfires that I have managed to obtain, can't you?)
>
>Haha! No more than I! And remember-I haven't familial duties to distract from
>my
>'study'! ;-)

I've never let familial duties distract me from my study - how do you
think I manage to get books written? :-)

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///