Hardtop Fit Question - 78 Spit

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Hardtop Fit Question - 78 Spit
From: "Mike Chmura" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:54:11 -0400
Hello all,

This past weekend was the first time I attempted to fit my hardtop to my
78 Spit.  Basically things don't line up the way I would have
expected.   Here's my assessment.  There are six contact points, 2 on
the top of the windshield, 2 at the cockpit sides where the doors shut
and 2 on the back sill of the cockpit.

When I secure the 2 screws on the windshield and the 2 at the door, the
2 screw holes on the top itself and the car's sill don't line up at
all.  There's at least a half an inch space difference.  If I try to
work from back to front then the 2 holes on top of the windshield don't
line up with the holes on the top.  The top overhangs where it should
fit snugly on top of the windshield.

Is there some kind of 'trick' that I'm missing here?  It's almost as if
the slope of the windshield is angled more than it should be causing the
the mis-alignment of the holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance. - mike chmura