Re: Hardtop Fit Question - 78 Spit

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hardtop Fit Question - 78 Spit
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 22:39:20 +0100
In article <c7a001c150f2$2b21d5f0$2c00740a@cableone.net>,
ralemen@cableone.net writes
>Mike, I would be worried if my windscreen frame moved like this. I have
>no such problem. If it did move I would be worried about the structural
>rigidity of my car.

As has been pointed out recently, the windscreen frame is not
structural, and is only held onto the rest of the body with a few light
welds.   It only takes a few millimetres of movement to mean that the
hard-top retaining bolts won't go into the holes.   Of course, if I left
out the cylindrical spacers, the bolts would slip in without a problem,
but those spacers are there for a purpose.

> The movable bolt plates, I assume, were designed to take into account
>manufacturing tolerances, seal thicknesses changing etc.

I have to admit that having put new seals on the hard-top has made the
problem infinitely worse.   Prior to this, it was just awkward - now it
is an awful job.

> It's just a fiddly process of getting them directly below the bolts,
>tightening them up then jiggling the top slightly to get the best
>position, then tighten down back and front, then do the centre ones.

When did you last replace your seals?   Maybe in a year or two mine will
have bedded in enough that the problem goes away.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"