Re: Resetting odometer question

To: jmcneal@ohms.com
Subject: Re: Resetting odometer question
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 19:13:04 -0400 (EDT)
Hi, Jeff.

I've already read finters' note about the CA DMVs answer to your
original question, so this is just a backward glance kinda thing.

I would submit that no one has questioned your honesty, ethics,
integrity or morality on this issue.  What they have suggested is that
the DMV _would_ question your h, e, i and m.  Which might have been
true, knowing that the law is written to accomodate the jerks who
spend their lives trying to cheat friends, neighbours, relatives and
any other human that passes near their space-time continuum.  So
please don't get your hackles up.  The law doesn't care about your
integrity; it just believes that everyone is dishonest, so we all
suffer.

Thanks for listening,
Donald. (we don't need no common sense, we got LAWS.)

P.S.  Can't remember the source, but here is a definition I've seen:
larceny: a tough fibre of which the human heart is primarily composed.

> From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
> Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 15:05:22 -0700
>
> Dan,

[snip]

> It totally blows my mind that anyone would question my ethics, integrity or
> morality for altering an already, inherently KNOWN innacurate odometer
> reading, especially since I am not trying to pass the car off as "brand new".
> That would be impossible, in fact, as I have chosen a non-standard paint and
> several custom touches.  Anyone who sees this car will know from a quarter
> mile away that it has been re-done and "non-original".
>
> An important lesson was learned today.  Instead of trying to explain what I
> was doing, I should have simply asked the list:
>
> "How do you correct the odometer reading" without any elaboration whatsoever.
>
> At least then, I could have avoided the insults and what could be the end of
> what I always considered to be a very cordial and mutually satisfying long
> distance friendship.   It's hard to swallow when ones integrity, morals,
> values and ethics are called into question without the accusing party taking
> into account the entire picture.
>
> Apologies to the list for all the content pertaining to this post, and thanks
> to all who actually responded with helpful answers to my original question.  I
> think I've got all the info I need now.
>
> Jeff

[snap]