Re: Resetting odometer question

To: "Bill Miller" <millerb@ivwnet.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Resetting odometer question
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 13:01:52 -0700
Hi Bill,

To stay legal, you would probably be required to have the new speedo
calibrated to reflect your actual mileage.  This would also be the ethical
thing to do.

Case in point.  I bought a Ford Ranger for my young son to drive last year.
It's a 5-speed and he's never driven a stick before.  The gauge pod did not
include a tach.  Realizing the importance of that instrument, PARTICULARLY to
an unseasoned driver, I located an instrument pod from a wrecked Ford Explorer
(same setup) that had the tach.  Although it showed several thousand miles
less than my true mileage, I drove it down to a speedometer shop and had them
match the mileage on the original pod.

Having gone through this effort in the past with my truck to insure that the
mileage reflected was accurate to the best of my ability, I really bristled
when someone contacted me off the list and said that what I was doing with the
Spitfire was "not morally and ethically responsible", implying that I might
try to pass the reset mileage off as "original" when it came time to sell.  I
trust that I am well enough known in the Spitfire community to never get away
with something like that regardless, even if I DID have criminal intent, which
I most assuredly do NOT.

Anyway, case closed.  Thanks for the replies, the opinions and the off-list
pontificating.  I'm going to reset my odometer which will make it no more
innacurate than it reads now, declare the actual miles of the car as unknown
(which is the honest to God truth) and let the chips fall where they may.

Best wishes,

Jeff