Re: Resetting odometer question

To: "Bradley D Richardson" <bradrichardson@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Resetting odometer question
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 12:53:49 -0700
Hi Brad,

I will contact the DMV and see what they advise, but at this juncture the
setting on the odometer is going to be inaccurate, no matter what it states,
so it will read the mileage I wish it to read, which won't be any more
innacurate than what it reads now.  Remember, this speedo came from a
different car.  In California, we have a "original mileage unknown" box to
check, too.  And that's what I'll be checking.

Otherwise, anything else I could possibly do would be illegal, including
passing off ANY odometer reading as original, which I am NOT trying to do
here.  I'm in a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation here.  Swapping
the original (non-existing) speedo is illegal.  Resetting the odometer is
illegal.  And if you haven't been to the DMV lately, trying to explain this
ball of wax regarding a stripped tub, speedo from a different car, etc. will
result in a quagmire of investigations, paperwork and red tape that would
probably preclude me from EVER registering this car.

No thanks.  I'm going to stick to my original plan, which is honesty and the
path of least resistance and get this car registered with the least amount of
red tape and hassle as possible.

Best wishes,

Jeff