Re: Resetting odometer question

To: "Michael Hargreave Mawson" <OC@46thFoot.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Resetting odometer question
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 12:22:15 -0700
Mike, all,

The engine and transmission are from a '72 Spitfire.  The frame and body are
from a '68.  No accurate records of mileage exist and even if they did -- for
which?  The drivetrain components or the frame?

Here is what I'm going to do.  I'm going to roll into the DMV a few weeks from
now with 00008 miles showing on the odometer.  I will state that I do not know
the actual vehicle mileage, as no record exists.  They might register it as
108,000 or 1,008,000 miles.  I will leave it to the state's discretion.  I
really don't care what they declare.  There is no subterfuge or criminal
intent involved here.  If the third party speedo reads 64,342, that would be
just as innacurate and subject to criminal prosecution as 00008 miles would,
so what's the difference?

The only thing that matters to me is keeping an accurate tally of the miles
since this car last moved.  As of now, 100% of the components on this car have
moved 0 miles since the total rebuild.