Re: Funky D-type O/D, P. II

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Funky D-type O/D, P. II
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 06:53:58 -0400
Straight 50 weight motor oil is pretty darned thick.  Normally I see
recommendations for 30 weight.  I'm personally running a 10-30 in my J
type.

As Joe mentioned, some gold colored metals degrade faster then others.
I've never seen an American gearbox suffer from running GL5 oil, but
I've seen some Fiat gearboxes dissolve in a matter of a few months from
it.  GL4 also contains sulfur, but less of it.  You've got to get all
the way down to GL1 to completely get away from it (spec'd for Fiat
gearboxes).  You can get it from tractor supply stores btw.