Re: Be An American (No LBC)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Be An American (No LBC)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:23:13 -0600
Ankitterer@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/24/02 6:30:38 AM, mlupynec@globalserve.net writes:
>
> << The whiners haven't changed from the conscientious objectors from
> the past. Next real war (with conscription) I say those who can't
> kill for whatever reason, be parachuted behind enemy lines to
> convert the other side's civilians. Everybody happy?
>  >>

Well, I guess I'm not thrilled w/ the "bit older male perspective" concept but
my
war was a long time ago so I guess I can throw in my two cents worth:
    No, I wouldn't be happy w/ this plan.  There is a big difference between
conscientious objectors and draft dodgers.  The conscientious objectors were not
opposed to military service but were opposed to killing.  Big difference.  It
may
also shock you (or at least surprise you) that very few of military personnel
ever
are involved in active combat.  The vast majority are in some sort of support
mode, i.e., medics, truck drivers, clerks, supply, etc.
    I am not opposed to CO's.  I wasn't much for the idea of being a helicopter
gunner but I was really opposed to being killed myself so I did all I could to
avoid that possibility.  Besides, after all the barroom bravado and bullshit,
it's
not that easy to start one down the barrel.  Most of the people standing around
have never had to do it and it's not nearly as easy as John Wayne movies would
have you believe.
    Obligatory LBC content (and hopefully back to Spridgets.........)It's
supposed
to be nearly 60 around here today and tomorrow.  It's time to spook the farmers
and drive the Bugeye around on the county roads some.  "Nice Ferrari, mister".

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO

Old army combat veteran 1966-1969  (You may remember the era)