Re: OT Desperately seeking car for teenager

To: bugeye@austin.rr.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT Desperately seeking car for teenager
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 20:15:28 EDT
Me too.

I was 17 or 18 with a 2000GT Mk3 Ford Cortina.  The headgasket had recently
been changed by yours truly but whether the head was warped or what, the new
gasket was blowing.  I bought some cheap oil to top up the engine for the drive
home, left an oil slick on the car park at work that I didn't care about and
drove home.

Rather than 'nurse'/'baby' the car home I kept the pedal to the metal (which
wasn't that fast) and while overtaking a slower car I was doing about 80mph
and accelerating while the car started to fill with smoke.  I stayed with it
till I couldn't really see to drive and pulled over sharpish.  The engine
survived the overheating, total loss of coolant, loss of oil etc and when I
eventually got the home driving very slowly after re-filling everything you
could think
of I bought another cylinder head which I had skimmed and subsequently
re-built.

I sold it some time later and bought the Sprite.