Re: OT Desperately seeking car for teenager

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OT Desperately seeking car for teenager
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 09:17:45 -0400
Jorge Garcia wrote:
> Pardon this off topic excursion but I need a cheap car
> for my teenage son who blew the head gaskets and
> melted some of the pison tops in the  Chevy van we let
> him use.

A Chevy?  I would think the cheapest route would
be a junkyard engine to replace the one he trashed.
As long as the rest of the van is a known quantity
(i.e., brakes work, lights work, wipers work, etc.)

As the saying goes, "The devil you know is better
than the devil you don't."

Cap'n Bob wrote:
> When you skip steps in the "learning
> process" they will "re-visit" as surely
> as night follows day and day follows
> night.

Take that advice to the bank.  My girlfriend has
a teenage son.  Her ex (his Dad) bought him a
pickup truck.  It wasn't in great shape, but the
kid proceded to trash it - taking it out into the
woods and "4-wheeling" his 2-wheeler.  It ended
up burning in a field.  My GF bought him a nice
'95 Neon. One day he came home and the fog
light was dangling from the front. "What happened?"
"I don't know." We suspect he went 4-wheeling
again.  One day it wouldn't start.  He let it sit for
weeks rather than take it to a mechanic.  In his
words, it was "a piece of sh!t". Since he never
paid her for the car, she sold it off to a friend,
whose kid put in a new battery and uses it to visit
his GF in CT (from NH) every other weekend.
The kid found an '86 BMW he just had to have,
so borrowed money from mom and dad again.
That was a piece of sh!t.  He ended up at a
friend's junk yard, crushing it for fun and for
salvage value.  He still hasn't paid for a car
on his own, but he has trashed lots of them.
There were other automotive incidents, but
you get the idea. Yup, if he wants a car, let
him earn it.

Kent
'56 100 BN2