Re: [Tigers] Starter Solenoid

To: Donald Antilla <fast427@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Starter Solenoid
From: Joe Brown via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 16:29:24 -0600
Cc: Tigers Den <Tigers@autox.team.net>

--0000000000006b20240597ceb70e

Thanks to Donald Antilla and Ron Fraser for their quick replies.  They have
me on the right track now.  In my new wiring harness I have one white wire
that comes out of the harness behind the tach and I assumed it plugged into
the white wire (labeled "signal in") on the back of the tach.  My tach was
rebuilt by Nisonger and has the updated electronics.  I ohmed that wire out
and it is the one that goes to the ballast resistor.  So should I run a new
wire from the ignition switch to the tach and piggyback the ballast wire to
that?

Thanks,
Joe Brown

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 3:31 PM Donald Antilla <fast427@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> The starter solenoid temporarily supplies 12 volts to the. Oil while the
> starter is cranking.
> As soon as you release the key that temporary 12 volts is disconnected an=
> the power to the coil is via the ballast resistor.
> It sounds like you either have a bad ballast resistor or broken wiring to
> the ballast resistor.
> Temporarily add an alligator jumper across the two tabs on the resistor
> and see if it starts. If it does start you have a bad resistor.
> And if that does not work, start looking for lack of 12 volts INTO. The
> ballast resistor.
>
> From Don's iPhone 203-592-8427
> Or 203-264-8301 home
>
> > On Nov 20, 2019, at 4:20 PM, Joe Brown via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.ne=
t>
> wrote:
> >
> > =EF=BB=BF
> > Hey,
> >
> > I'm trying to fire up my engine for the first time and I have a
> question.  When I turn the key to the start position the engine turns ove=
> and fires up.  But as soon as I let go of the key so that it returns to t=
he
> run position it dies.  It seems like the ignition system is only getting
> power when the key is in the start position.
> >
> > I'm a little confused by the wiring diagram.  The white/blue wire from
> the solenoid goes to the coil and this would seem to imply that there
> should always be 12V on this wire when the key is in the run position.  I=
> this correct?  I'm only getting the 12V on this line when the key is in t=
he
> start position.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Joe Brown
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/fast427@sbcglobal.net

--0000000000006b20240597ceb70e

plies.=C2=A0 They have me on the right track now.=C2=A0 In my new wiring ha=
rness I have one white wire that comes out of the harness behind the tach a=
nd I assumed it plugged into the white wire (labeled &quot;signal in&quot;)=
 on the back of the tach.=C2=A0 My tach was rebuilt by Nisonger and has the=
 updated electronics.=C2=A0 I ohmed that wire out and it is the one that go=
es to the ballast resistor.=C2=A0 So should I run a new wire from the ignit=
ion switch to the tach and piggyback the ballast wire to that?=C2=A0=C2=A0<=
"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at=
 3:31 PM Donald Antilla &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fast427@sbcglobal.net"; target=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rg=
b(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">The starter solenoid temporarily supplies =
12 volts to the. Oil while the starter is cranking. <br>
As soon as you release the key that temporary 12 volts is disconnected and =
the power to the coil is via the ballast resistor. <br>
It sounds like you either have a bad ballast resistor or broken wiring to t=
he ballast resistor. <br>
Temporarily add an alligator jumper across the two tabs on the resistor and=
 see if it starts. If it does start you have a bad resistor. <br>
And if that does not work, start looking for lack of 12 volts INTO. The bal=
last resistor. <br>
>From Don&#39;s iPhone 203-592-8427<br>
Or 203-264-8301 home<br>
&gt; On Nov 20, 2019, at 4:20 PM, Joe Brown via Tigers &lt;<a href=3D"mailt=
o:tigers@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wr=
ote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; =EF=BB=BF<br>
&gt; Hey,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I&#39;m trying to fire up my engine for the first time and I have a qu=
estion.=C2=A0 When I turn the key to the start position the engine turns ov=
er and fires up.=C2=A0 But as soon as I let go of the key so that it return=
s to the run position it dies.=C2=A0 It seems like the ignition system is o=
nly getting power when the key is in the start position. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I&#39;m a little confused by the wiring diagram.=C2=A0 The white/blue =
wire from the solenoid goes to the coil and this would seem to imply that t=
here should always be 12V on this wire when the key is in the run position.=
=C2=A0 Is this correct?=C2=A0 I&#39;m only getting the 12V on this line whe=
n the key is in the start position.=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Any ideas?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>