Re: [Tigers] Starter Solenoid

To: Joe Brown <jbbrown1980@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Starter Solenoid
From: Gary via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 18:22:28 -0800
Cc: Tigers Den <Tigers@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-173FBF04-601A-4C99-A449-7D65DC10D7E4
        charset=utf-8

The Signal wire should probably wire to
the points or low side of the coil.
The white wire should not end at the tach
but would do a one loop through the coil
pickup on the back of the stock tach and
then run to the ballast.
You do need 12v to the back of the tach
spade terminal and a ground.
Gary

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 20, 2019, at 2:30 PM, Joe Brown via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net> w=
rote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Thanks to Donald Antilla and Ron Fraser for their quick replies.  They hav=
e me on the right track now.  In my new wiring harness I have one white wire=
 that comes out of the harness behind the tach and I assumed it plugged into=
 the white wire (labeled "signal in") on the back of the tach.  My tach was r=
ebuilt by Nisonger and has the updated electronics.  I ohmed that wire out a=
nd it is the one that goes to the ballast resistor.  So should I run a new w=
ire from the ignition switch to the tach and piggyback the ballast wire to t=
hat? =20
>=20
> Thanks,
> Joe Brown
>=20
>> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 3:31 PM Donald Antilla <fast427@sbcglobal.net> wr=
ote:
>> The starter solenoid temporarily supplies 12 volts to the. Oil while the s=
tarter is cranking.=20
>> As soon as you release the key that temporary 12 volts is disconnected an=
d the power to the coil is via the ballast resistor.=20
>> It sounds like you either have a bad ballast resistor or broken wiring to=
 the ballast resistor.=20
>> Temporarily add an alligator jumper across the two tabs on the resistor a=
nd see if it starts. If it does start you have a bad resistor.=20
>> And if that does not work, start looking for lack of 12 volts INTO. The b=
allast resistor.=20
>>=20
>> =46rom Don's iPhone 203-592-8427
>> Or 203-264-8301 home
>>=20
>> > On Nov 20, 2019, at 4:20 PM, Joe Brown via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.ne=
t> wrote:
>> >=20
>> > =EF=BB=BF
>> > Hey,
>> >=20
>> > I'm trying to fire up my engine for the first time and I have a questio=
n.  When I turn the key to the start position the engine turns over and fire=
s up.  But as soon as I let go of the key so that it returns to the run posi=
tion it dies.  It seems like the ignition system is only getting power when t=
he key is in the start position.=20
>> >=20
>> > I'm a little confused by the wiring diagram.  The white/blue wire from t=
he solenoid goes to the coil and this would seem to imply that there should a=
lways be 12V on this wire when the key is in the run position.  Is this corr=
ect?  I'm only getting the 12V on this line when the key is in the start pos=
ition. =20
>> >=20
>> > Any ideas?
>> >=20
>> > Thanks,
>> > Joe Brown
obal.net
>> >=20
>> >=20
>>=20
ast.net
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-173FBF04-601A-4C99-A449-7D65DC10D7E4
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">The Signal wire should probably wire to<div=
>the points or low side of the coil.</div><div>The white wire should not end=
ckup on the back of the stock tach and</div><div>then run to the ballast.</d=
div dir=3D"ltr"><br><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Nov 20, 2019, at 2:30 PM, J=
oe Brown via Tigers &lt;tigers@autox.team.net&gt; wrote:<br><br></blockquote=
Thanks to Donald Antilla and Ron Fraser for their quick replies.&nbsp; They h=
ave me on the right track now.&nbsp; In my new wiring harness I have one whi=
te wire that comes out of the harness behind the tach and I assumed it plugg=
ed into the white wire (labeled "signal in") on the back of the tach.&nbsp; M=
y tach was rebuilt by Nisonger and has the updated electronics.&nbsp; I ohme=
d that wire out and it is the one that goes to the ballast resistor.&nbsp; S=
o should I run a new wire from the ignition switch to the tach and piggyback=
"gmail_attr">On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 3:31 PM Donald Antilla &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:fast427@sbcglobal.net" target=3D"_blank">fast427@sbcglobal.net</a>&gt;=
 wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0=
px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">The starte=
r solenoid temporarily supplies 12 volts to the. Oil while the starter is cr=
anking. <br>
As soon as you release the key that temporary 12 volts is disconnected and t=
he power to the coil is via the ballast resistor. <br>
It sounds like you either have a bad ballast resistor or broken wiring to th=
e ballast resistor. <br>
Temporarily add an alligator jumper across the two tabs on the resistor and s=
ee if it starts. If it does start you have a bad resistor. <br>
And if that does not work, start looking for lack of 12 volts INTO. The ball=
ast resistor. <br>
=46rom Don's iPhone 203-592-8427<br>
Or 203-264-8301 home<br>
&gt; On Nov 20, 2019, at 4:20 PM, Joe Brown via Tigers &lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:tigers@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrot=
e:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; =EF=BB=BF<br>
&gt; Hey,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I'm trying to fire up my engine for the first time and I have a questio=
n.&nbsp; When I turn the key to the start position the engine turns over and=
 fires up.&nbsp; But as soon as I let go of the key so that it returns to th=
e run position it dies.&nbsp; It seems like the ignition system is only gett=
ing power when the key is in the start position. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I'm a little confused by the wiring diagram.&nbsp; The white/blue wire f=
rom the solenoid goes to the coil and this would seem to imply that there sh=
ould always be 12V on this wire when the key is in the run position.&nbsp; I=
s this correct?&nbsp; I'm only getting the 12V on this line when the key is i=
n the start position.&nbsp; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Any ideas?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; Joe Brown<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">tigers@autox=
.team.net</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers"; rel=3D"norefe=
rrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a> <a href=3D"=
http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://a=
utox.team.net/archive</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Unsubscribe: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/fa=
st427@sbcglobal.net" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.=
net/mailman/options/tigers/fast427@sbcglobal.net</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
v></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-173FBF04-601A-4C99-A449-7D65DC10D7E4--

--===============8035151694444376260==