How to cut my TR6 dash

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: How to cut my TR6 dash
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 09:27:23 -0500 (EDT)
OK.  I confess.  I've decided to become a DPO for some future
owner of my '72 TR6.

I've decided to upgrade the radio to something a bit more
modern to play in symphony with the roar of the wind and my
Monza exhaust.

Problem is that the current (possibly original, definately
old) radio has a smaller "nosepiece" than that on current
stuff.  I need to trim about 1/8 inch all the way around
and widen the spacing for the shafts (I'll probably look back
in a few years and either regret cutting at all or wish I'd
cut a BIG hole for a DIN-style unit).

Anyway, what's the best way to cut on the aluminum dash
support unit.  I'd expected it to be a stamped sheet metal
piece, and was surprised to find that it's a cast aluminum
piece (definately something that would be a glob of plastic
in a new car!).  (As an aside, I was surprised to find three
holes below the radio which appear to have be intended for
switches or something.  The vinyl covering closes them off
from the outside.  Were these used on other models or
have folks taken advantage of them for later addons?)

I'm not so worried about the vinyl covering which currently
wraps into the center opening (I'll accept a "clean" edge
which will be covered by the radio trim panel), but don't
want to mess up the surrounding trim.

I've thought about a session with a coping saw with a fine
metal cutting blade, or perhaps just a long session with
a coarse file.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Joe Flake
HP Atlanta