RE:How to cut my TR6 dash

To: flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com, owner-triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: RE:How to cut my TR6 dash
From: Larry_Young@avid.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 10:02:56 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Encoding: 61 text

> OK.  I confess.  I've decided to become a DPO for some future
> owner of my '72 TR6.
>
> I've decided to upgrade the radio to something a bit more
> modern to play in symphony with the roar of the wind and my
> Monza exhaust.
>
> Problem is that the current (possibly original, definately
> old) radio has a smaller "nosepiece" than that on current
> stuff.  I need to trim about 1/8 inch all the way around
> and widen the spacing for the shafts (I'll probably look back
> in a few years and either regret cutting at all or wish I'd
> cut a BIG hole for a DIN-style unit).
>
> Anyway, what's the best way to cut on the aluminum dash
> support unit.  I'd expected it to be a stamped sheet metal
> piece, and was surprised to find that it's a cast aluminum
> piece (definately something that would be a glob of plastic
> in a new car!).  (As an aside, I was surprised to find three
> holes below the radio which appear to have be intended for
> switches or something.  The vinyl covering closes them off
> from the outside.  Were these used on other models or
> have folks taken advantage of them for later addons?)
>
> I'm not so worried about the vinyl covering which currently
> wraps into the center opening (I'll accept a "clean" edge
> which will be covered by the radio trim panel), but don't
> want to mess up the surrounding trim.
>
> I've thought about a session with a coping saw with a fine
> metal cutting blade, or perhaps just a long session with
> a coarse file.  Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe Flake
> HP Atlanta
> flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com

Joe,

The holes you see in the dash support were a left over from earlier TR's
(The tr4a, for example uses those holes for the heater controls) My
guess is that when the TR6 went into production in 1969 (?) they simply
just retooled the production line (in fact a lot of the same parts, as
you are probably aware, are used on the  TR4A, 250 (5) and 6....

Now as far as the dash support, you might want to do one of two things,
1) get another dash support and use it to cut out, thus saving the
original for the future or 2) cut out the one you have now using (dare I
say!!) a Dremel Tool with a cutter wheel. Which ever you choose, pay
close attention to the depth of the new radio, as you intended "NEW"
radio may not fit into the space provided...

My .02 worth...Hope it helps...

Larry Young

'67 TR4A-IRS (daily Driver)

Larry_Young@Avid.com