Re: Drivers vs. Showers

To: c394829@is6.mdc.com (Kurt Oblinger), triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Drivers vs. Showers
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:24:12 -0400 "Drivers vs. Showers" (Jul 22, 9:24am)
Cc: vtr@Autox.Team.Net
> Subject: Drivers vs. Showers
[Background on Pebble Beach snipped]
> An idea for the National would be to institute a special award, a big one
> people would really want to have. To qualify for the award contestants
> would have to participate in two driving events and the concours. Points
> from the driving events would be added to the points from the concours
> and the car with the highest total would win. Each event would be weighted
> equally and minimum points could be awarded for just participating. You
> could call it something impressive like "The VTR Cup" and have a REALLY
> big trophy and maybe a gift certificate for $$$ to one of the big vendors.
> The cars with the biggest shot at the trophy would be nice drivers, which
> probably represents the core group of VTR best.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kurt Oblinger
> Redondo Beach, Ca.
> c394829@is6.mdc.com
>-- End of excerpt from Kurt Oblinger

Kurt and others,

As a bit of background, there was originally no requirement to drive
your car in order to enter it into the Concours. In about 1981 or '82,
it was decided that in order for a car to be eligible for the concours,
it must be run in one of the driving events. At that time, the only
driving events were the autocross and the rally. Here in Detroit, we
also instituted an award called the President's Cup. It was awarded to
the car/driver that did the best (unfortunately at the President's
discretion) in all three events, rally, concours and autocross. I don't
remember that the award was ever awarded outside of the Detroit hosted
events.

The VTR cup idea sounds good, but a point system would have to be
developed so that it would go to the best all around example of the
marque. Does well in the concours, the rally(s), autocross/funkhana.

Cheers,

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ford.com
dmitchel@ismi.net