Re: Drivers vs. Showers

To: Kurt Oblinger <c394829@is6.mdc.com>
Subject: Re: Drivers vs. Showers
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 14:54:34 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, vtr@Autox.Team.Net
It would appear that since I started composing this reply, Ken Streeter
has provided an answer. Nonetheless...

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Kurt Oblinger wrote:

> An idea for the National would be to institute a special award, a big one
> people would really want to have. To qualify for the award contestants
> would have to participate in two driving events and the concours....

Kurt, VTR actually has several such awards for presentation at National
meets, weighted both for driving events and Concours score:

The "Ken Richardson Challenge" award goes to the owner of a TR2-3B. The
"permanent, rotating" trophy is the Durand Cup, originally awarded to the
Triumph Team of TRSs at the 1961 24 Hours of LeMans and donated to VTR by
the late Ken Richardson. It is mounted on a large wooden base, to which
are affixed the names of each year's winner, along with notation of the
model and the commission number. There is also a "keeper" trophy.

The "Dennis Riley" award is given in honor of our late President.. Criteria
similar to those used to determine the Richardson award are used to select
the deserving owner of a TR8.

There is also the "Carolinas Cup," sponsored by Triumph Club of the
Carolinas. This (help me out, TCOC members) is open to any participant;
again, criteria are weighted against moving events as well as Concours
participation.

We currently are toying with an award, similar to those above, that would
go to the owner of a racing/competition (or perhaps otherwise modified --
this is still in preliminary discussion stages) Triumph. Again, it might
use criteria similar to the Ken Richardson Challenge award, and the
"permanent" trophy indeed might be appropriate. More on this as it
develops.

In addition to the above, Ted Schumacher sponsors the yearly "Sweat
Equity" award. This award is somewhat more subjective than are the above,
but again it recognizes "overall enthusiasts" as opposed to cars merely
displayed.

And, beyond all that, the future might well hold still more similar awards
for models and model ranges not covered by some of the above (TR4/4A,
Spitfires and other Herald-based vehicles, "historic" cars, etc.)  But
meanwhile VTR does hold to the "moving event requirement" for entry into
Concours competition at the National meets. Even driving long distances to
the National meet is not enough to meet the "driving" requirement; an
entrant must participate in a funkhana, autocross and/or rallye or tour.

One thing to remember is that a number of winners of the above awards, and
probably a few "Best of Show" VTR Concours winners over the years, have
demonstrated that you CAN have it both ways if you want! And if memory
serves, this is nothing new in motorsports or marque clubs. Seems to me
that there is a long tradition of competitive driving events paired with
Concours or other show displays. I, for one, certainly hope that this
trend will continue for some time to come in VTR. I'm fairly comfortable
that it will, even amongst owners of "sidescreen TRs"!

--Andy