Re: Drivers vs. Showers

To: ingate@shiseis.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Drivers vs. Showers
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:37:31 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-22 14:48:28 EDT, ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F.
Ingate) writes:

<< Think of the less
 fortunate owners of V16 Caddies, Bentlys, V12 Ferraris, older Jags, ...oh
 the list goes on.  These folk NEVER get to wave to a fellow classic
 driver.  What a bore. >>

Shane,
As a generalization, you are correct, but I assure your there are people out
there who are very, very serious about classic cars who actually use them on
a regular basis.  I have a neighbor who owns 4 Packard 12's. Dietrich and
Brun bodied cars. These cars are immaculate.  (So is his 53 Hooper bodied
Bentley)  One 1938  Brun bodied car is all original except for the paint and
the leather top!    Three are running and on the road.  I have the very great
pleasure of waving as he drives by my house on his way out the mile of gravel
road to the blacktop.  Car abuse? NOT!  This gentleman is one of the most
knowledgeable people in the country regarding these cars.  He loves them and
knows what they are for.  I inquired early on if he had ever shown any of his
cars. IMHO they are Pebble Beach winners.  His response was memorable; "Hell
no,   I don't need some son of a bitch telling what I've got, I KNOW what
I've got.
A few weeks ago I had the extremely rare opportunity to view at arms length,a
1937 prototype supercharged roadster (which the owner does not wish to
advertise the location) of a well know early manufacturer.  It too drove the
mile of gravel to my house.  This owner drives that car which is worth well
into 7 figures.  He drove it to Colorado a few years back and blew a tire at
over 100 MPH !

I, a lowly TR sidecurtain guy, am treated with respect by these knowledgeable
scions of classics, because they know I love the TRs and I drive them for
pleasure.  If I was a concourse guy they would probably snub me.

Of course either catagory, drivers or showers is better than the 'museum'
types.  I know several of them also.  Millions of dollars in classic beauties
that never get to feel the asphalt under their tires, or even experience the
loving gaze of a human admirer, other than their owner. How Sad !
Bob Paul