Re:drivers vs. Showers

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re:drivers vs. Showers
From: Ralph Jannelli <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:58:37 -0400
I have two Spitfires, a '72 MKIV which is my daily driver, a car I used to take
to shows. I also have a '65 MKII which was a total rust bucket when I bought
it. Like my wife says I literally brought it home in boxes. I spent two and a
half years and more money and time then I could ever in my wildest dreams hope
to get back. Why? Because I love Spitfires! I have driven Spitfires for 25
years as my daily car. But, I noticed that there are fewer and fewer of the
early Spitfire at shows and virtually none on the road. I always wanted an
early Spitfire and this is why I chose to restore one.
Is it a trailer queen? Some may say it is, but the restoration was complete two
years ago and I've put two thousand miles on her, not exactly a daily driver
but not exactly a trailer queen either. If a local show is within a two hour
drive I'll drive. Going to Ft. Worth from Charlotte NC (1100 miles) was two far
for me to risk. I did however compete in the funkana, the Grandbury Rallye, and
the Autocross. While I did not place in any of the driving events I do enjoy
them. My car took 1st place in the concours in Albany but I believe it was the
only MKII/MKIII Spitfire entered. This year I took first again with only one
worthy competitor (my good friends Terry & Cathy Sopher).
This car has been a dream fulfilled for me, I also have a dream of campaigning
a Spitfire in SCCA Autocross but I am afraid that is a dream I'll never be able
to fulfill.
One out of two ain't bad!

Ralph Jannelli
Charlotte NC