Re: Drivers vs. Showers

To: Kurt Oblinger <c394829@is6.mdc.com>
Subject: Re: Drivers vs. Showers
From: "Keith A. Edwards" <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:17:57 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Kurt Oblinger wrote:

> The drivers vs. concours discussion seems to be a never ending story. I can
> relate to both sides, however I have some aversion to trailer queens. I do
> photography on the side and have shot the Pebble Beach Concours for a
> number of years. There are cars there that never turn a wheel except on
> the show field? I call them the worlds most expensive lawnmowers. I have
> heard that some of the tricks of the trade for the high dollar show cars
> are no coolant/water in the cooling system, suspension bolts not torqued
> to spec to avoid damaging chassis paint, tops that are never folded down,
> having the car resprayed just prior to the show so that the paint is
> fresh and buffed and not waxed, fitted plastic covers for convertible tops
> to keep dust off during transport, plastic booties to go over the tires
> so grass and dirt don't get into the treads.
>
> An idea for the National would be to institute a special award, a big one
> people would really want to have. To qualify for the award contestants
> would have to participate in two driving events and the concours. Points
> from the driving events would be added to the points from the concours
> and the car with the highest total would win. Each event would be weighted
> equally and minimum points could be awarded for just participating. You
> could call it something impressive like "The VTR Cup" and have a REALLY
> big trophy and maybe a gift certificate for $$$ to one of the big vendors.
> The cars with the biggest shot at the trophy would be nice drivers, which
> probably represents the core group of VTR best.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kurt Oblinger
> Redondo Beach, Ca.
> c394829@is6.mdc.com

I recall the National Austin-Healey club used to have a "Grand Competitor"
award, based on composite scores for the various events.

I have suggested similar in the past, particularly to the Triumph Register of
America.  It was thought to require too much effort to calculate.

I disagree.  By competing in all events, you are best preserving the marque.

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net
2 TR3Bs